Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Raising Awareness of BPD - Flipping the Script

Hello @BlueBay 

and others who may be interested in the following material about which I would like any thoughts or comments.

{Fairly long post of ~800words}

@BlueBay This note commenced as a response to your post which started with:

"Love your blanket @Judi9877  It's beautiful 

Hi @BPDSurvivor  gee having BPD is so damn hard at times - just venting

hi @Shaz51 how are you today? how is your mum? 

hi @HenryX how are you and did you have a nice day?"

I would be pleased and most appreciative, if you feel inclined to read and comment on the thoughts that I have written in this note, when and if you feel comfortable doing so.

"

I believe, that in order to respond effectively to our situations and deal constructively with our lives, that we will improve our lives by understanding where we are coming from, where we are now, and where it is that we wish to go. This note is an attempt to re-read the map and reassess the plan.

"

I believe that I hear what you are saying. Through recent discussions with the counsellor, I have become more aware of the way that I have thought and considered issues during most of my life. In fact, as a result of this guided and self-considered reflection, I have become aware that my life has been a constant battle when compared to the majority of people in my own age, social and cultural cohort.

As I grew older, the battle became more internalised. In other words, the early influences that had been barriers and to some degree confrontatioal events, and my responses and reactions to those, generally external barriers, stimuli and conditions, became an ever increasing part of who I was, rather than being external to me. That, I now think in retrospect, made or moulded me to be more different from the majority of people who had, what may be referred to as, more normalised or standardised lives. I believe that my earlier experiences, naturally and, or by nurture, had "shaped" my developing internal structures of reasoning, responses and reactions in such a way that I responded to a wide range of stimuli in ways often, very differently to the way that the majority of people, in my age, social and cultural environment, would have responded, reacted and functioned. This contributed to the significant difficulty, the battle, living in "the world to which I was exposed" during my life. {meaning, as distinguished from the wider and more generalised social, cultural and nationalised norms}. In that world, I could not understand how other people functioned effectivelly, any more than the majority of others could understand the reasons for the difficulties that I had in functioning effectively, in what would otherwise have appeared to be the same environment. I could never express my difficulties in ways that most others could understand or relate to, or were even recognised variations in psychological terms and practice, at that time. In a sense such outsiders are in a minority and only rarely make connections with others in similar situations. So the concept and even evidence of support structures, for mutual benefit is generally minimal, if apparent at all.

This situation became increasingly evident when I connected with a friend from our teenage years, some few years ago. During and following some of our discussions, and my own, mentally directed reflection on those teenage years, as if I were looking from above, I considered what differences there appeared to be between us. I had learnt sufficient, in the intervening years, to know that his life was very different from mine in many different and significant ways. Some may say "well, we all live different lives, there is nothing new in that statement." However, we develop and learn, as a result of both hereditary and genetically received parameters and then subsequent conditioning, which may commence even from conception, in ever increasing degrees. The difference between the life processes of my friend and me, that became apparent, I have to say incompletely, was that he had a very different approach and strategy set, with regard to responding to life issues, to the approaches and strategy sets that I had.

For example, I like to think and believe that I am sensitive to other people's needs. This sensitivity has been developed, I believe, almost as a reaction to in-sensitivities that I experienced in my childhood and teenage years. I was determined neither to be in-sensitive to the needs of others, nor be responsible for passing on those traits to others, for whom I may have any responsibility for development, training or education. In my friend, sensitivity was almost a casual issue that might be addressed in a number of different ways or not even considered at all. For me sensitivity feels as if it is an imperative, almost as if driven.

It was recently suggested to me, in response to material I had offered in discussion, that my heightened sense of avoidance of the possibility of causing any form of harm to others, could be considered as a trait often associated with OCD. This was considered partly, in reference to my observations that seemed to suggest that I would rather withdraw from a situation, than that I should be responsible, even in a minor or unintentional way, for any insensitivity to be expressed by me toward another person, or that any such behaviour should be passed on to another in such a way as to incline the other person toward being insensitive to others.

It is just as difficult for other people, who have not had the experiences, sensations and awareness that may otherwise have impacted and imprinted adversely on their lives, to know what life is like for people who have had such negative experiences, sensations or awareness. Indeed, we would not want others to acquire their developmental experiences in ways such that they would have the same life concerns and sensitivities as those of us who have had our development influenced in varying negative ways.

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Very interesting thoughts @HenryX . Well said in so many ways that I couldn't have done better myself. I appreciate the depth of your thinking, and it makes total sense. It's a post I can always come back to and gain more insight. 

Thank you,

BPDSurvivor

@Judi9877  - Wow! It's turned out great! Love it! Thank you for sharing the photo! Every item you see the blanket, you can remember how far you've come.

@Shaz51 , sounds like your mum is not really aware of what she is doing/saying. I know it hurts when nasty/ungrateful words are said. I just hope that you'll find the strength to rise above these words. Hugs xxxooo

@BlueBay , so how to stop the negative thoughts? If you feel able to, resist them and fight against them. Having BPD is like there's a constant battle in your mind - good versus evil. I couldn't 'argue back' at first, but now, I barely ever even have negative thoughts. The process was - each time negativity or an unhelpful thought came, I'd question it. eg. "No one cares about you"...my answer, "if no one cares, why do people always con-tact me?"

Unfortunately, it's a constant battle at first. But eventually,, if you do it enough, the thoughts subside. I needed a lot of external support from my psychologists at first whereby they took me though each step to challenging my thinking. After hearing and doing that enough times, it became a natural go-to for me.

Perhaps raise it with your psychologist?

Missing you all! Hugs to my family here.

BPDSurvivor

Hopefully when I start dbt I will learn then @BPDSurvivor  and I can bring it up with the dbt psychologist. 
thanks @BPDSurvivor 

Hi @HenryX 

thanks for your detailed reply. To be honest I get overwhelmed when I see a huge reply. But it's ok. I will re read it after my physio and centrelink appts this morning. I just need time to understand what you wrote. 
Hi @BPDSurvivor 

Hi @HenryX 

OK i will try to hopefully understand what you wrote, i have a bit of trouble understanding it all.  And when i feel like this all the negative thoughts come into mind eg. i am stupid, dumb, don't understand anything, too scared to ask others to repeat what they say; or too scared to ask 'what do you mean'.  So i will try to write something -

I am sensitive, like you and have been since a child.  I am very empathic towards others and have a kind heart, always wanting to help others when in need and not thing about myself.

I guess we are all different and have varying experiences of life with issues, problems, stress etc etc and we all handle it differently. I suppose the people that don't have a mental illness won't understnad what it's like.

I was brought up in a very strict european background where I would do as i was told and no backchat, no nothing. I wasn't allowed to have any friends over to play as a child nor was i allowed to go over to their house to play.  Growing up as a teenager i wasn't allowed to go with friends to the shops. Vary rarely was I allowed to have a sleep over at my cousins house. so literally i stayed home quite a lot.  But with my brother - well he was allowed to do whatever.  he would get into trouble with the police, wag school etc etc - but to my parents he was the only son and the golden child.

i don't even know why i am telling you this. but anyway - my life was controlled from birth to my 40's.  even when married i felt i was still 'controlled' or 'manipulated' by my mother.  

sorry, i don't know what else to say to your post, i am a bit lost for words. and i am getting carried away with my own issues.

damn parents, what have they created in me 😞

i need to stop typing as the tears are flowing sorry

@BPDSurvivor @Shaz51 @Judi9877 @Emelia8 

Hi @BlueBay , @BPDSurvivor , @Judi9877  , @Shaz51  , @Emelia8

{Moderately long post of ~1160 words}

An Expression of Appreciation, Mutual and Nurturing Support

Thank you so much @BlueBay for considering and responding to my earlier post from yesterday.

From what you have written, it certainly appears to me that you have clearly understood the thoughts and observations that I offered in that post. Your previous very detailed response and clarity of presentation, to another of my posts and this one, is demonstration of the fact that, in my opinion, you are definitely

not “.....stupid, dumb, don't understand anything, …..”

though I can understand the reasons for the existence of such opinions of self, and the anxiety and fear associated with being:

too scared to ask others to repeat what they say; or too scared to ask 'what do you mean'.”

For fear, as a possible consequence of asking such questions or making requests for clarification, of being shown up, thereby, with a 'definite' reason for, and confirmation of our own negative self-assessment and, by extension, confirmation that others would hold the same negative opinions of us.

Or for any other request for qualification or clarification, by us, of what another person has written or said, as further reason to then continue to berate and castigate ourselves, unfairly, undeservedly and inappropriately, for “being so weak and stupid.”

These concerns, fears, anxieties and self criticisms are often the result of conditioning, moulding and grooming that we experienced as children and even into adulthood. They are often, I believe, a product of the process by which someone, or others, either deliberately or unconsciously, kept us enmeshed and controllable, by means of creating in us self-doubt, almost constant self-criticism, disbelief in our own skills and any or all other positive attributes. These actions and their consequences can have severely limiting impacts on various areas of development in our lives.

We may even have been the one avenue through which the perpetrator could exert, what they may have perceived or known as their otherwise limited power and control. Such actions may also be attributed to another who also holds significant negative self-opinions. But that is really about another, or others, and I would prefer to focus on what I can account for and hopefully change - that is Me and My circumstance from here into the future. I am also making the distinction here between the actions of a person which we may have an intense dislike(a) for, and the person, whom we may view quite differently, possibly even love. The differences here can be difficult to accommodate in our psyche and can indeed, generate and support much internal conflict and seemingly contradictory behaviours by and for us.

(a) {I generally do not use the H... word}

The very methods, initially used by others, and that were imposed on us, became the cage into which we have locked ourselves, by internally adopting those expressions, responses and reactions, that were previously imposed on us, or elicited from us by another, or others. As a result, we now believe that everyone else views us through the same lens, according to which we were initially conditioned to view ourselves, and in the same manner and according to which principles we often continue to act and conform. We may be said to have now adopted that lens as our own. It takes considerable application, effort and sometimes distress, to divest ourselves of that lens and all its associated meanings and permutations, and to rebuild a new positive self-image for and within ourselves.

In your response, you offered significant details of your experiences in childhood, many of which continued into adulthood. It may sound trite or cliched to say, about the response that you have given, that I can see significant correlations between your life experiences and my own. Though, it is indeed because of such correlations and similarities, and therefore not surprising, that we are both members of this forum. Those reasons are similar for you, me and others. We may each be here in the hope of communicating with others in a way that provides us with mutual and reciprocal support, sharing of ideas and hopefully, shared assistance in developing and formulating a process, path or map by which we can improve our lives.

I lived in a family where my father was a career serviceman in the army. Unfortunately, his work did not “stay at the office”. His demeanour towards my mother and me often seemed similar to the way that military personnel were and are treated. My only younger brother, like yours, @BlueBay  was treated without the discipline and rigour that my mother and I experienced, and to which we were subjected. I was in my late 40's, before I eventually said that I had had enough. I did not see or speak with my father from that time until about a year prior to his death. I did not want him to die without, at least, an attempt on my part to resume connection.

In many ways, there were similarities between my mother's situation and mine, where, because of isolation, the style of treatment, and our own attempts to otherwise maintain conformity with the social rules and mores of the day, we both stayed in that environment for far longer than 'we should have'. The situation of DV and a person, the victim, excusing the behaviour of another, and remaining in, what is really a dangerous and malevolent environment, comes to mind. This, despite what to others would have been red-flagged as of serious concern. However, when we know no other situation, these experiences become “normalised” and all that we know and understand, and paradoxically, to which we often remain attached.

Your distress at recalling your past and even more recent experiences is very understandable. I have, in the “Need to vent” thread, written a piece touching on the reasons for the style I use in my posts. In that post, I also make observation about the place of process, in dealing, in a positively aggressive and confrontational way, with the foundational reasons for many of the stressors or strains in our lives. Also, the subsequent externalising of useful expressions of emotions and feelings associated with the acknowledgement of the conditions that, in many cases, have contributed to where we "are coming from, where we are at in the present, and our intended future direction". There is the issue of grief expressed with regard to those previous experiences and also with regard to possibly lost opportunities. These expressions of distress and release can be positive and cathartic eg. crying, concentrated physical activity, etc.

@BlueBay  Your response, though it may have seemed like a simple and uncomplicated statement of conditions, behaviour, experiences, thoughts and feelings by you, has been received and viewed by me as a significant, self-aware and insightful statement of self-expression by you.

@BlueBay  Thank you so much for the care to respond and the openness with which you have responded.

With My Very Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Hi @HenryX 

thank you for your reply. I'll need to read it again and reply to each paragraph. I get really overwhelmed when I read too much because I then don't understand it.
it's not you or your replies - it's me. I've always been like this. I get overwhelmed and then I criticise myself for not able to reply like others do. I look at others and see how well snd detailed their responses are.
maybe that's why I don't reply much to others in detail because I feel stupid snd not smart enough. 

@HenryX  I will reply tomorrow.  Pls don't feel it's you or your replies. I struggle with this whenever I see replies that I don't know what to say. 
I guess I feel very uneducated and worthless. 

Hello @BlueBay 

I am just delighted that you care to read my posts. I really hope that what I write is helpful for you. I enjoy reading your responses, but definitely do not want you to feel additional pressure or distress.

My last response, on another thread, included a thank you to another member for their continued interaction and correspondence with me.

It is only nine months since I reactivated my membership of the forum. I am so very appreciative to all members, including you, who have, through responses, "support"s and comments, given me encouragement, as a result of which, I am enjoying a higher level of confidence than for many years.

You will notice that my last post on this thread was headed:

"An Expression of Appreciation, Mutual and Nurturing Support"

That message of appreciation was primarily to you, but also to all the other members with whom I have had the pleasure of 'speaking' during that time.

Thank You @BlueBay for your participation in helping me.

With My Very Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Hi @HenryX  im glad you joined here again. I'm sorry you had a hard life with your dad that must have been hard for your mum too. 
I enjoy reading your replies to me and ithers. You seem very "switched on" not like me. 
I struggle to write well. 
I do care about you snd your replies. I appreciate the time you spend in writing the replies. 
just wish I didn't feel so stupid all the time 

xxx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance