Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advocating for change

Re: Topic Tuesday // What is mental health reform and why is it important for you // Feb 14, 7-9pm AEDT

@matsionoah Thanks for telling your story, and I am really sorry it is such a troubled one.

Sounds like you really ahve experienced the failures of the current system.

So many issues - criminal justice system to deal with health issues, drugs and their impact on mental health, caring for people when they may have little insight into their condition, how to assist carers and family members trying to care.

I dont have answers for you, but I hope you will see that some of the work we are trying to do would help: greater accountability, agreements between government about who is responsible for what, adequate funding.  All of this would help - the system.

But that does not amke it easier today for you, your sister and your son. Please keep telling your story, eveywhere you can.

Change will take time, but it will come!!! And thanks again for sharing!

Re: Topic Tuesday // What is mental health reform and why is it important for you // Feb 14, 7-9pm AEDT

Trauma informed care is a big one @Phoenix_Rising I know BlueKnot Foundation in particular are big advocates of this

I am with Phoenix, i am not sure much has changed over the years.  Diagnosed 23 years ago and really the only thing i find easier is to share my story.  Is this due to my periods of being better, more emphasis on MH I am not sure.  With major depression i am told its a chemical imbalance,  but we cant measure the chemicals?  Be good if we could I might no be on my 99th ad.

I think we need more exposure of MH to get more of the community on board so we can get more funding, less abuse etc.  Thanks for the time.

Agreed @Phoenix_Rising, but not just in hospitals!

We are learning that trauma informed care is important right across the system - and yes, it has moved too slowly

I've also found that the stigma reduction never refers to serious or chronic mental illness, really only depression and anxiety. What would really help is awareness and support for the severe and chronic illnesses. I've encountered far too many times "I've had depression, and I just exercised and I got through it". (From my boss when I asked for support in the workplace)

I totally agree @Arjay - the more we get MH out there in the community will also help reduce stigma, which I noticed is a priority in the Fifth National MH Plan (http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/8F54F3C4F313E0B1CA258052000ED5C5/$File...)

@Andra I hpe that as the NDIS we get to hear more stories about what works best - like your own.

The people who follow you into the NDIS will learn what's possible from pioneers like you 🙂

I really noticed how much things HAVEN'T changed during my adventure last November. When the psych nurse finally saw me at 4:30am, he took me into a baron room with two chairs in it. It looked like an interrogation room. I moved my chair slightly to the side so that I didn't feel quite so much like I was being interrogated and he immediately ordered me to put it back where it was. He then simply told me I had been scheduled and couldn't leave until I'd seen the psychiatrist. All I could think about was focusing on my slow breathing and my goal of getting the hell out of there! And yep, just typing about it, has set me rocking and sweating. It is such an awful AWFUL system Smiley Sad

I agree @NikNik
They have helped me a lot.

I am with you @Zoe7 - we must all ask the government why they put limits where they do for mental health, but not for other conditions??

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance