Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Challenging Psychosis: Working with Thoughts // 23 Aug, 7pm AEST

Time check: 30 mins before we finish, so if you have any questions and/or thoughts, now is the time to get them in!

Re: Topic Tuesday // Challenging Psychosis: Working with Thoughts // 23 Aug, 7pm AEST

Hi, I think i have kind of figured out how this works.  Just reading and trying to get a little familiar with it.  I have an adult son with paranoid schizophrenia.  He does not accept his diagnosis and so far he has been treatment resistant.  It's been a horrific journey to date, worse for the last 4-5 years as things seem to be getting worse and worse.  He manages to mask his symptoms quite well and only in the last couple of years have a couple of senior clinicians really believed how unwell he really is, and how good he is at masking his symptoms.  However, this has not helped him, always saying how well he is.

I'm his worst enemy in his eyes and thoughts and to blame for all his difficulties.  He tells me I have abused him as a child, taken from him to give to his siblings and others and have helped others take from him and on and on.

I am not at all good at coming up with the rights answers, or suggestions when he challenges me or accuses me.  I just don't know what to say anymore.  And, i know i don't help when I encourage him to see a doctor (when he is particularly unwell) as i seem to say things that make matters worse, such as I'm worried about you and the like.

He doesn't like me to be worried for instance as it reminds him he is unwell.  But he is really really unwell.  i have finally come across this and i'm hoping i can learn something from it....

Hi @leitor

You sounds very resourceful. When I was reading your post, I was thinking that you have really done your research. You may have mentioned this already, and I'm sorry if I've missed but what is your partner's diagnosis? I'm wondering if it might be helpful getting in contact with Mental Illness Fellowship of Australia. They provide support and resources to carers and people experiencing psychosis and other mental illnesses. They might be able to point you in the direction of a course. 

Thank you @leitor. I have heard of the book but haven't read it. Sorry, I missed it at the start – is it your partner that you're supporting? You sound incredibly committed to learning everything you can to support her.

I'd like to add:
. the carer's need to draw boundaries of acceptable talk and behaviour,
. the actions you both agree to be taken if things do get out of hand eg Spt services, removal of access to money etc
. name and phone numbers of other supports eg:Dr's contact no; ambos etc

I have a question what is the best thing to do in aPsychosis take the person to a hospital or keep them at home? especially if husband/wife/carer is not coping

@CherryBomb@Acacia Her diagnosis is schizophrenia with paranoia. There is a late onset peak in females due to hormonal changes around menopause. The DSM-5 says although the symptoms are similar to early onset schizophrenia it may actually be a different disease.

We were initially told that as it came on suddenly, it may only last 6 months, but it has been episodic for almost 2 years now. I do find it helpful attending the local carer's group meetings, so many people caring for people with ver similar problems.

Hi @hope77, that is a good question

@CherryBomb, @Acacia

@hope77 I could see why you might second yourself. I may be wrong here, but I get the sense if you've had an experience where you've realised that things are not real or false due to psychosis, it would be easy to question your judgement. It's also easy to do this when you're not feeling confident, which comes along with feeling depressed.

In regards to your question - what is the best thing to do when someone is experiencing psychosis? I think it really depends on the situation and the severity. If someone is at risk of harming themselves or others, then hospital may be the way to go. But if they are experiencing mild paranoia, and still functing (e.g., working or going to school) and are not at risk, then I think it mght be hard to have them admitted. If their family/friends are not coping, this is challenging. My advice is for family and friends to have a shared plan of action worked out together before someone gets unwell. That way people can feel more equipped and prepared when their loved one gets unwell.  @Koya what are your thoughts?

Time check: 10 minutes - get your final thoughts in now!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance