Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Career Chat // How to stand out to a potential employer // Friday 7 Oct. 12pm AEDT

Just looking around at research about resume building for people with MI ….

I found an article in Journal of Disability Management revealing that:

the resume-development process may be useful in promoting effective job-search behaviour in clients providing the resume development processes includes;

relevant knowledge and skills to overcome or reduce clients’ doubts, addressing disability but focus on ability, providing ongoing emotional and practical support, values individualisation, and an increase in clients’ motivation.

In other words, having your resume done for you without your input may well seem like a good idea because it’s one less thing you have to do, but if you were to do it together with someone who provided you emotional and practical support, you could benefit with increased motivation and self esteem.

Do you believe collaborating on a resume has been helpful for you? Did it remind you that you are a good candidate … did it motivate you to look for work?

Re: Career Chat // How to stand out to a potential employer // Friday 7 Oct. 12pm AEDT

As we draw today's Forum to a close I just wanted to thank @Former-Member and @janedoe2 for contributing today.

Both of you were open about sharing your situations, I hope you got something out of hearing each other's experiences.

I also hope we were able to give some insights into what makes you stand out to a potential employer ... in summary you need a tailored resume and cover letter, without any errors, fill in gaps with volunteer work, research the company you want to work for and show that you're knowledgeable about their company in the interview, summarise at the end of an interview and thank your interviewer with a follow up call ...

Also, reach out to a DES and JSA if you can find one that's suitable for you. There are good and bad in every organisation and it's up to you to find the right fit for you, someone sensitive to your MI needs or laid back and casual ... whatever it is that you're looking for you shouldn't settle for anything less than what is expected of them as a job search service.

Do check DES and JSA star ratings ...

Take a support person with you to the first interview.

Creating your own resume together with a friend is a fine idea, it will remind you that even though you've faced obstacles in the past you've come a long way and done many things in your life ... a friend will remind you and help you to highlight your good points (you do have lots of them!!).

It can be very empowering and motivating to create a document that focuses on your abilities rather than your disabilities!! Smiley Very Happy

I'm here every Friday from 12 til 5 so feel free to ask questions even if they're not topic related ...

Thanks again and great to have you with us today @Former-Member, @janedoe2@Mosaicand @NikNik enjoy your weekend! Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance