Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Career Chat // How to stand out to a potential employer // Friday 7 Oct. 12pm AEDT

I just looked one up ...I'm in melbourne @janedoe2 so I am not in a position to refer but WISE employment are out there ... they have both a  DES and a JSA site.

No idea about quality or staff ... but I'm almost sure you will find ONE person (at least) to work with you ... surely!

I just googled their details ... I can post if you want ...

Also, I would love to continue to be here as another support for you ... so even if you do try WISE stay with me!Smiley Happy

Re: Career Chat // How to stand out to a potential employer // Friday 7 Oct. 12pm AEDT

I just looked one up ...I'm in melbourne @janedoe2 so I am not in a position to refer but WISE employment are out there ... they have both a  DES and a JSA site.

No idea about quality or staff ... but I'm almost sure you will find ONE person (at least) to work with you ... surely!

I just googled their details ... I can post if you want ...

Also, I would love to continue to be here as another support for you ... so even if you do try WISE stay with me!Smiley Happy

PS I don't believe in saying nasty stuff about agencies because there are good and bad everywhere. It's just about WHO suits YOU. 

I know I shouldn't mention specific agencies.... but I worked with one that wouldn't even acknowledge my complaints. Offered NO help and were perfectly keen to claim the placement bonuses whilst offering no support. In the end of my JSA period their only advice was to go for DSP.

(I used be a contracts manager for des so I know that some des's do a lot for their clients, but quite a lot are all about claiming payments and not actually helping the clients. In fact the whole scheme isn't actually about 'helping' it's about policing newstart recipients.)

Can I name the agencies I worked with that were great?

Hi @Former-Member thanks for your contribution and for stopping by Smiley Happy

It's seriously unfortunate that you have had that experience with a DES/JSA ... 

But hopefully our other contributor can find someone to help her as I honestly believe a good DES or JSA is a real bonus in your corner.

Given that you did not experience assistance from that sector what did you do to obtain work/stand out?

@Former-Member I don't know that we allow any type of endorsement .... not sure ? Give it a go!

My problem was I could get a job, but I couldn't negotiate conditions that would accommodate my illness, so I would loose jobs the few jobs I managed to get.
I've been in my current position for a week and I have told them that I have a chronic illness and they seem supportive.
I am also getting a degree in the area I work in, so that I think helped.
I think it's hard when you have a mental illness as your thinking is altered and you don't necessarily see all your own good bits, skills and attributes. Maybe get a friend to help you write your application as they could probably help you keep in mind all your positive attributes and put them on paper?

Hi @Former-Member to answer your question - yes you are allowed to discuss services you found helpful.

Ostara and APM seemed to be really helpful and caring. But again, star ratings give you an idea how successful they are at getting their clients jobs.

Thanks @Mosaic

I mentioned Volunteering as a way to fill in gaps in your resume and also as a way to stand out in a crowd of resumes ... but it also has other benefits:

Volunteering is useful to get into a new industry …

This is a statement from a participant in a recent study:

“Volunteering – when you fill out the enrolment forms and you do certificate III or further course you get extra points for everything you have done ... to get into those courses so volunteering is vital in lots of ways, not only does it give you a leg up into the course you are in but it also gets you into the workforce and you are hearing the language, the technical language that is associated in that industry the hair that would be or the hair solutions and all of that – for nursing it might be the illnesses that people get, it will give you the language that you will need for child care it will give you the language. So if you do want to get into the workforce it is a really valuable experience to go and find somewhere that is in the industry and give a couple of hours a week because that makes a huge difference. (Jb, N42)”

Volunteering is good for mental health …

This is what others had to say:

In the same study participants detailed that they were on either carer’s allowance or on disability pension and were undertaking voluntary activity and for some to simply get their mind off of their own problems (Jb, V2 and Jb, V5).

For a long time there hasn’t been anything here. I was just sitting at home getting depressed. Since ... I volunteer with them and they have become good friends. (Jb, V5)

Within your own self it is a confidence thing, you know how much you can take on... even one or two days a week and continue my studies by correspondence and do the volunteer work and be a mother, I will do it, I know I can do it, I have three kids and it is not easy but I am not going to give up on myself. (Jb, N39)

It doesn’t matter whether you want a career or just want to get out into the community and do volunteer work or anything, it is about getting out to survive and feel about making choices about where you want to go not somebody directing you all the time. (Jb, N73)

Volunteering is a great idea ... anyone out there doing it? Have you found it helps you to get jobs?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance