Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: A love/hate relationship with exercise

I can definitely relate to this, especially in Winter when the days are so short (and, alas, in Summer when the days are so HOT!).

Over the years I have furnished up quite a bit of gym equipment so I can do a pretty good workout at home, but the thing that is best for getting me going is walking at least part way to and from work - if I can do that a few days in a row I get way more motivated to do other forms of exercise because it makes me feel good physically, and feel good about myself.

I also recently discovered that I LOVE jogging (slower than a snail) and when the weather is suitable that is one of my favorite things. I highly reccomend the Couch to 5k program for non-runners who would like to start running - it is SO simple (especially as there are a couple of free podcasts that do the pace changes for you) and makes it really easy to progress. It gave me such a feeling of accomplishment,not to mention the famous 'runner's high'.

Working out is one of my most reliable ways to improve my mood (so long as I can actually make myself start) and I love that it will pick me up form depression, AND calm me down from anxiety. I have never regretted a workout, it is always a good choice for me.

That said it can still be hard to start. It can be frustrating that something I really enjoy, and that really benefits me can still be so hard to just DO.

Get a dog!!!! The guilt you feel if you don't take them out everyday for a run or walk is unbearable.  Therefore it forces me to get out and do it.  I'm glad I do though as it gets me out of the rut of my thoughts and gives me a break.  It brings about Mindfulness, being in the moment.  Something I have to practice, but it helps.

Just to update this love/hate exercise...I have started walking again...even a long walk and in the end I decided it's walking with friends that may take a bit longer but is so much more fun than walking alone. Not that I don't love walking my dog but even the dog loves having a playmate to walk with😄 really enjoying the light in the mornings too..has anyone else found it a bit easier to get motivated when daylight starts earlier?

Re: A love/hate relationship with exercise: PS I hate gyms

Hi butterflychaser,

From the moment I get inside the gym and a spraytanned anorexic 10-year-old who just barfed in their mouth at the sight of me tries to summon a smile and a cheery greeting.

As I appear in my workout gear and strong men faint.  As I haul my sorry carcase onto the machines and the floor staff hover expectantly with the portable de-fibrillator.

I sweat and suffer and jiggle so much that seisomographs in Tokyo send out emergency alerts.

I hate gyms.

Hi Allesandra,

In answer to your question about walking too slow I've found that when I stop to talk I can pick up a handy object.  This can be a large rock, a dozen bricks, the dog you're walking, or even the person you're talking with.

Then, whilst holding the object with a firm grip, perform squats.  Remember to replace the object when you resume walking.  This is especially important with someone else's dog, or another person.

Happy walking!

Too funny BG, I think I would fall over laughing if I tried to pick up my dog in one hand😄
And gym..well I used to love pushing weight but laziness won out...nagging mum is now regularly reminding me that she has osteo, and if I don't want it I had better start push-ups or some thing..

I once was an athlete
I loved to compete

I was admired
I them retired

10 years passed
I'll now be coming last

I've returned to study
But I'm looking for a buddy

I'm studying fitness now
Motivation is how

Really enjoyed your poem @Pippa . We got another member who @Happyness who  writes poetry. Care to share some more of your work Happyness?

Hi LAM,

I noticed your post about your love/hate relationship with exercise and thought you might be interested in this http://saneforums.org/t5/Special-Event-Mental-Health-Week/Mind-Body-Challenge-2/m-p/9477#M117

Well done on your walk and jog effort each day. It's an awesome habit to include in your daily ritual, like brushing your teeth.

Cheers,

Catriona

BatGuano, that's hilarious.
I too find gyms terrible. I hear it works for many but for me hearing the crazy groans from the guys that have loaded themselves with roids and try to push another kilo whilst clenching their sphincter so hard you can see their eyes pop is too much. And if that's not enough, they have to parade in front of the mirror watching someone that looks just like them flash their guns. Too much.
Get out and smell the roses.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance