Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Re: Topic Tuesday // OCD: Behind The Mask // Tues 13th April, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

@NatureLover  said ----- "There seems to be a bit of a theme here with childhood trauma or just plain trauma leading to OCD and anxiety "

my husband has had depression and anxiety and so many diagnosis all his life 

and I was mentally and emotionally abused when young by my father @ARCVic@Daisydreamer , @Former-Member 

Hey @BlueBay
Just stop and take a few deep breaths, then let us know what's happening for you right now. This is a safe place for you to speak, you're not alone.

@BlueBay I'm sorry to hear what you've been through Heart Sending lots of support
@ARCVic will be talking about recovery now - hold on to hope 💐

Lovely to see you, @TiSoG21  🙂

Yes, I too would like to know how you're doing, @BlueBay  Heart

Question 3 for you @ARCVic: What helped you on your journey?

I think this question is really aligned with some of the questions we have coming through from @NatureLover @Shaz51 and @Justme123 

For our community: Do you have any questions for Anu about his experience or recovery journey? Is there anything in Anu’s story that stands out for you?

What helped you on your journey?

For me it was a combination of therapy with my Psychologist (which consisted of CBT, Schema Therapy, Exposure Response Prevention and Acceptance Commitment Therapy), medication and self-help groups. I would like to emphasise, though, that what helped me may not help someone else. The recovery journey in mental health (I feel) is very individualistic . What works for one person – may not work for another. The key turning point for me, though was when my psychologist introduced me to mindfulness as part of my therapy. And to this day, mindfulness forms a large part of my day-to-day management (which I appreaciate may not be for everyone)

When I speak to my parents and family they say they really benefited with therapy themselves. They say that it gave them an opportunity to discuss their challenges, learn more about anxiety and develop tools that would help them in helping me.

Forgot it was on until you tagged me, thank you! Glad you could make it 🙂
I'm doing this on my phone so am having trouble keeping up with the whole thing, but if anyone wants to ask me anything or needs support, tag me and I will be sure to get back to you.
I don't have OCD myself, but have been married to someone who has been living with it for the last 7 years. I am very open to sharing and supporting however I can!

I am so sorry to hear @Shaz51 and @BlueBay about the experiences of trauma you have both had 💜 Sitting with you both

I csnt do this tonight 

I csnt stay here 

I have to go 

I'm sorry everyone 

I shouldn't have come on 

I'm not good 

extremely hard night 

Hi everyone.

@DaisydreamerThanks for your Tag - I just got it now.

Sorry I'm late.

It's been a full-on day.

Adge