Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Re: Topic Tuesday // OCD: Behind The Mask // Tues 13th April, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

I'm sorry to hear, @Emelia8 Heart I'm noticing that trauma is a common underlying factor for a number of people here tonight 

There seems to be a bit of a theme here with childhood trauma or just plain trauma leading to OCD and anxiety 😞

@Former-Member  @Emelia8  @ARCVic 

@NatureLover 

@NatureLover wrote:

@ARCVic wrote:

I have learned to not feed into my thoughts

I would be interested to hear how you do that, Anu @ARCVic 

What really helped me was when my therapist described my thoughts using an analogy of a stranger knocking-on the door. Now everytime I have an intrusive thought - think it's  a stranger and I choose whether to let them enter. Previously I used to let them all in and they would all make themselves feel at home. Which would lead me down a spiral of anxiety, obsessions and compulsions.

Thank you for answering, Anu - wow. That's a great analogy. I would like to develop that for myself. @ARCVic 

@
ARCVic
That is a good analogy. Something to put in my tool kit, and work with.

Ive got childhood trauma and rejection and abandonment from my parents. 
my anxiety is huge 

anyway doesn't matter 

it's too late 

damn everything 

Thanks Anu. Could you possibly share with us some other strategies that work for you to help manage OCD? 

@BlueBay  are you feeling safe tonight? Is the discussion causing you upset or distress? Heart

And it does matter, very much.

@Clawde thank you for clarifying. Yes, checking is very common however it's important to note that sometime checking behaviours and compulsions can be quite internal or can can occur within one's mind. My checking behaviours were quite visible to external people - which meant I had learnt to be extra secretive to hide my rituals (i.e. doing those behaviours after school, or once parents had gone to sleep etc...)

@Shaz51 I'm not sure whether there is a clear answer to whether OCD relaxes over time - it depends on the person I guess. For some it may, for other it may not. 

@BlueBay that feeling of rejection and abandonment really seems to harm people, including myself. It is strangely comforting to know I am not the only one.