Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Re: Topic Tuesday// Life With NDIS// Tues 22nd June, 7-:8:30PM AEST

Thanks @bipolarbunny Yes I had been told that there may be a Link (easier access) Between DES & DSP.

I do not have a Psychiatrist - I only see a Clinical Psychologist.

I once went to see a Psychiatrist, many years ago - He said "You don't need me, you're not Depressed".

He said a Psychologist would be more Appropriate for me - From experience, Yes that is mostly true.

Adge

Another obsticle to being rural is the travelling . Providers charge travel if they come to you  which can eat alot of funding unless it has been taken into account in the planning stage , or else it falls onto parental responsibilities and even though it can be directly related to the treatments required 😕 @Determined 

Question: What support can Life Without Barriers provide to do with NDIS?

Our mental health programs support individuals to participate in their community and to achieve outcomes that are meaningful to them. We support people through both outpaitent and community-based programs, self-referral resident services, short-term, emergency and long-term accommodation and respite services.

We also offer assistance with daily living for those who may require help with the day to day tasks such as personal care , community access, household tasks etc

@TideisTurning I am unable to work. I rapid cycle and have mixed episodic bipolar that is extremely hard to manage with medication. My biggest victory this year is being able to visit the gym. I find the outside world and people socially very challenging to deal with. Which is why I have weekly therapy. I'm just 11 months my tdoc has worked wonders with me, but I have severe childhood trauma and ptsd issues that have totally made being in public spaces debilitating. My goal is to conquer these fears to be able to return to the workforce, but it is a very slow road. I have no support at home, no partner, no friends. I do everything on my own. My therapist and toxic family are essentially my only links to the outside world. 

BB 🐰💙

Yes I hear parental responsibility a lot @SandeeLWB    Even for activities that clearly align with plan goals. 

@Adge A letter from your clinical psychologist would probably be enough. Just get a back up letter from your GP too. 

You are so right, mental health really does impact every part of life @Oaktree, and it sounds like it has been so hard to do things you want to be doing. I think that's where services under the NDIS are so important, because every part of life can be impacted with mental health and holistic approaches to recovery that look at all aspects of life are essential Heart 

We are so grateful you are here and talking to us- on the days that feel the hardest, and when you are feeling alone, that's when our community is here to support you Heart 

It sounds like there's a lot happening for you @bipolarbunny, though I think going to the gym is an amazing victory that's worth celebrating!! 🎉🎉

I would like to understand the criteria for short term respite. I have been told it is a holiday and an everyday expense. What pats of the respite is covered by the NDIS. Ie. Accommodation, Food, community activities? Also I now live on my own as my son has gone overseas for a period of up to two years. Does that mean I don't qualify for respite? I don't understand it at all.