Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What is mental health reform and why is it important for you // Feb 14, 7-9pm AEDT

The mental health plan touches on this one, but doesn't go into HOW it is going to reduce stigma in the workforce, just that that is one of its goals. Words.

Re: Topic Tuesday // What is mental health reform and why is it important for you // Feb 14, 7-9pm AEDT

FrankK Quinlan Big need for access to law advice instead of long waits and people unable to assist you because "mental health is a tricky area"

@FrankGQuinlan wrote:

Thats a fair point @leitor - the balance is completely wrong

What if we routinely asked people about their experience of care, and reported it publically?

Perhaps that would be a good way of building accountability, and helping peple to make more informed choices?

I've found the carer's group to be a great source of information on the variety of medical approaches taken and available, unfortunately I wasn't even aware of it until way too late. Some time after the first visit by the police we got a letter from a metropolitan care organization saying the police had contacted them. but unfortunately we were out of their area!

There are some medical care review sites appearing now, I have mixed feeling about their value, it is a complex issue and has to be discussed and implemented very carefully

sorry for your experience @Andra - but at least some big orgs are listening - and trying to make a difference.

I accept the system has to be held to account - and that it is consumers and carers who should be driving that accountability

I think peers are the future - but we have to build that future!

Yes @FrankGQuinlan
THAT day is coming. I'm so glad I decided on the day I was diagnosed that I would always be open and honest. If the whole world knows it will make no difference because I have nothing about which I should be ashamed.

Let's hold our heads high and each and everyone of stand tall and speak out for equitable treatment of those with mental health conditions.

You know what? Our bodies cannot continue to function without a brain! Mental illness is a misnomer because the head is attached to the body.

Thanks again everyone, I have really enjoyed this discussion

Thanks to SANE (esp Nik) too for all that they do, including bringing this discussion together!

The future is in our hands - together we will make a difference.

One lived expereince at a time 🙂

warm regards

Frank

I'm also curious how the government plans to keep on with its zero tolerance drug policy, and be progressive when it comes to MH? Surely it know by now the former is largely a symptom of the latter. Isn't it time to stop criminalising MH thorugh punitive drug policy?

Peers make a huge difference and hopefully we can build the future brick by brick while supporting each other and managing the earthquakes along the way

What a session it has been!!! One of our most popular and busy by far.

A big thanks to @FrankGQuinlan for his time tonight (I hope we haven't interrupted any Valentines plans!) and thank YOU all for sharing your experiences. I know a lot of the experiences you have shared tonight are really hard to share. 

A big part of Frank's job as CEO at Mental Health Australia is talking and listening to people like yourselves who have experiences to share and who are passionate for change. So just being a part of tonight, you are contributing to the improvement of the mental health system.

You can subscribe to updates from MH Australia here 

You can also follow Frank on Twitter using the same username he's using here @FrankGQuinlan  

Thanks for this forum! And thanks for contributing @FrankGQuinlan. It seems to me that only 2 hours of discussion has poked holes through the first draft. I look forward to seeing the revised second in March 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance