Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What is mental health reform and why is it important for you // Feb 14, 7-9pm AEDT

Thank you

Re: Topic Tuesday // What is mental health reform and why is it important for you // Feb 14, 7-9pm AEDT

So I have been reading through the mental health plan draft and it seems to me - I might be wrong- that, just like so many other areas of society, vast amounts of money and resources are being touted for the collection of data, evidence and informing governments of the 'gaps' in our system. We already know that around 15 billion dollars is spent each year on the loss of productivity, health and social costs for people with MI. Why are we continually spending money on the 'research' rather than putting it into the 'on the ground' services and expanding early prevention and 'front-line' providers? This forum is a perfect example. It provides an amazing service for people to connect and support each other - wouldn't it be amazing to have a 'counselling' service attached to it - especially for those who find the 'physical' interaction with care providers stressful. I know there are other services that provide online support however it then becomes an issue of trust - and sometimes safety for a person - when you have such a fantastic 'community' support around you.

no one should be made to feel that way @BlueBay 😞 I am sorry that was your experience - we need to do better!

I have next to no trust or confidence in the system simply because of how i have been treated and how they handled the situation and ignored their responsibility. If the system shows it isn't trustworthy, how and why would patients use it?

I wonder how many others are like me, and reading the conversation, cheering the input and the impulse to contribute, but struck dumb by the fear of having nothing positive to contribute?

Well, I've started now.  Over my years, my experience of the "mental health" system has been relentlessly bleak.  I find it overwhelmingly unsupportive, and dominated by ... well, ego.  By people who insist on seeing themselves as the benchmark for "normal", however you want to slice that word, and tend to easy annoyance and even retribution if you don't concur.

I refuse to believe that's just me being "negative".  But what stumps me, is that I don't have the first clue how it can be addressed.  I'm discouraged that even the possibility of it doesn't appear in official talk about a mental health response.

Hello @NikNik xx

mental health currently receives only a tiny % of the medical research dollars @Arjay.  If it received more their might come a day when we COULD meaure those chemicals and whatever else might be going on!

Telling your story is important, and things have changed, but we have so much more to do!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts 🙂

@Zoe7 I fear that this is the age old story of bureaucracy. Another inquiry, another discussion, another research paper. Why can't we just get on and fix the issues that we all know are there!!!! I'm guessing @FrankGQuinlan doesn't have a magic wand to fix that??? Smiley Sad

Welcome @Shaz51 🙂

sorry @Former-Member - what a dissapointing response from your boss

Conditions seem to be harder for people to accept the more visible that they are.

We have to change that, along with changing the "just get over it" attitudes!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance