Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Seeking Answers to My Questions

Hi @Codex1 .

Thank you for replying to my message. I am curious about your statement that volunteer work doesn't help the economy. Would you be willing to explain. If anything I think it would over help the economy because it involves people making contributions for free?

@P12 

I agree with your point about volunteers being productive.  Volunteers can also be "invisible" when dealing with typical economy metrics.

I am a bit "over" this concept of helping the poor old suffering economy though.  

Regarding Occupational Therapists.  Recently I had an experience with them and found them moderately helpful, in that they advocated for a physical disability, which had been previously been dismissed.  That intervention meant I had 1 or 2 physiotherapy appointment, with someone which made the difference between me getting through Covid.

I get the thrust of their Occupation is not greatly adapted to psychiatric issues yet, but I am hoping that change.  The reality for me was that she put in another 3 small interventions which were helpful and out of the box for me.  Whereas the psychiatrists and psychologists I had seen had not actually offered much.  It was more about me filling up their booking schedules.

Currently I am not seeing OT very often, but found them very professional, if expensive.

Back to volunteering ... I have often volunteered in my main fields of my interest and learned new things about the world each time.  Eg I was hungry for intelligent company and volunteered at the zoo ... and so spent lots of time with the animals ... ha ha  ... joke ... I found being back among those with scientific training really good, enjoyed their knowledge and respect for the limits of their knowledge and do not regret offering my time for free.  Think about going with some of the advertised available volunteer positions ... they may not fit exactly with your expertise, but still could be valuable with a range of intangibles ... that is if you have time.  

Getting an exact fit with your very particular interests may be very competitive and the old insurance bogeyman may rear its ugle head.

Hi all.

I have returned to this thread after a break for several months. Overall I feel a bit disappointed that I haven't made much progress on the challenges I have described. The whole structure of organisations, economics, employment, volunteering, and society broadly simply seems flawed. If they were a small element of life one could simply avoid such strange systems, but somehow they have gained control over the whole subject of human existence. They appear to dismiss individual's interests but out of spite give incredibly tiny regard to individuals. I really think life is meaningless.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance