Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Cook Along

Yummy @Former-Member 

I hope tastes good.

Thats a beautiful braised lamb shank! I used to do that with chinese herbs - longans, ju-jubes and angelica @Former-Member Sometimes with figs.  Chinese herbs are easy to learn.  I first used to buy online because it had english description and after a while was able to recognise them myself. Not too hard. The Chinese eat very simply and the herbs are lovely to cook with. There was a big Hong Kong Supermarket and they stock all kinds of goodies. Its a lovely place to go to. They used to sell lovely Chinese Mooncake which would have to be my favorite cake. Its artisan quality and has a delicate and intricate cooking process.  The Hong Kong Supermarket is more upmarket now and looks like a proper supermarket but when i went there it was an open shop with a rotating security door and the girls at the cashier would freeze in cold weather while birds would occasionally fly in overhead. I haven't been out that way in years. But I think I might get into braising some lamb shank again with figs, bok choy and serve with quinoa based on this post. Thanks for the encouragement

Former-Member
Not applicable

Oh..that kind of limits it’s use @tyme .. I’m gonna try different methods and see what happens 🤔🙂

I sometimes add little bits of avo to an omelette, and cook it - but I also add salt to that too, so that’s the only common denominator that may be the mitigating factor. 
🙂🌺

@Former-Member it looks so good, I hope it turns out delicious. I’m sure it’ll be good, you give me motherly cooking vibes 🙂
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thank you @Snowie 🤗🌺

I hope so too! 
the rub was experimental 🙂

Yes, I'd be interested to know @Former-Member  re the avo

Former-Member
Not applicable

That sounds really lovely @SmilingGecko 😍🌺

I love the sound of that supermarket - like a community within itself. 
and the moon cake sounds just beautiful ☺️

hey I’m very happy the post has re inspired you - if you make the shanks with fig, bok choy and quinoa and you’d like to share a pic, I’d really enjoy seeing it ☺️ no pressure though - anytime would be amazing whenever you feel like it 🙂🌺

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks heaps @creative_writer 😍🌺

really appreciate that 🤗💜

I learned a lot from my grandmothers old cookbook I found when going through a bunch of old stuff when I was young, in her own handwriting, from when she first got married in the 1920’s ☺️

apparently she was learning all sorts of recipes from her (our) relatives and she was busily writing them down 💜🙂

so, it’s a really nice thing to know this cooking reminds you of motherly cooking vibes 🤗🌺☺️💜

@Former-Member I love old cook books.

Just made a rice and steak dish for tea. It is out of a cook book my Nan used to own. Has been passed down through the generations. I remember my mum making this when I was young. Now I make it for my kids 😁

If you have no dietary issues I would encourage you to try Chinese Mooncake. Its a bit of a delicacy made of lotus seed paste usually cooked with a whole egg and comes in a tin @Former-Member You can buy at your local Chinatown or Chinese grocer. I can't remember if its made available in Autumn or Spring. But they usually have stacks of it left over. It looks something like this (see picture) I just checked prices and its quite expensive now. But there are chinese mooncake recipes online and you can buy the moulds with patterns on them to cook them in from any chinese shop! 

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 5.11.37 pm.png

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance