Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

kevdeaf_24
Casual Contributor

Stop taking things too personally

Hello all,

I would like to share a short devotion with you. 

There are times when I find myself taking things too personally, leading me to have a strong desire to make things right throughout my life. This type of pattern that I have are mentally draining and tiring, often causing me to become defensive when responding to comments or actions that I find hurtful or insulting. It brings me down as I feel inadequate or that I was not good enough.

Through attending numerous counselling sessions, I have come to the realisation that there will always be individuals who may not like you, value you, or appreciate you for who you are, or may even make you feel inadequate. It is important to recognise our own self-worth, embrace who we are, and be able to feel accepted in our daily lives. With this, I gradually increase my own self-worth and started to accept myself for who I am. 

Furthermore, I have realised that we always have a choice: whether to dwell on negatives by taking their comments or actions personally, or to focus on our achievements and areas for improvement while empowering ourselves to move forward to the next step. We do need to be able to be assertive when necessary, but when we separate assertiveness from personal feelings, we can respond in a way that is not overly sensitive and doesn't lead us to become insecure.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Stop taking things too personally

Hi @kevdeaf_24 

You have some good words of wisdom there.  Too often we let the negativity of others impact us.  My mum's saying "treat others as you would like to be treated" is one I try and live my life by, its very simple but oh so so powerful.  Hope this finds you well, and have a lovely day. 🙂

Re: Stop taking things too personally

Hi @kevdeaf_24 

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and words of wisdom. I fall into this trap, sometimes, the way I think - everybody needs to be friendly to me, I do take what people say to me personally and it eats me up inside, I get frustrated and angry for no reason. I am working on myself every day to improve in this area, it's slow progress. I need to accept the fact that everybody is different and everybody is dealing with their own issues, keeping this in mind, I stop and think logically before reacting to a situation and I noticed it's working for me. I have taken notes from your post, which will help me out in moving forward in achieving my goals, thank you again and take care. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance