Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

UrsulaMcMahon
New Contributor

Re: What is borderline personality disorder (BPD)?

Strong emotions....of the happy variety, the sort that make your brain feel like fireworks are exploding in my head, all because of a connection with a friend, some new person that smiles back and we share a laugh, we talk about things we have in common and I feel understood and liked and this causes me to lose my breath, my heart beats faster, tears swell up in my eyes and I feel so intensly, so vividly that I cannot sleep, I have lost my ability to focus on my job, my family, my hobbies... my mind is constantly turning over these thoughts so I can have these feelings.... these intense vibrant feelings that make me smile and not care about anything anymore other than feeling these feelings and connecting with this person who is my friend, this friend who I am now obsessing about,this friend that I am now imagining myself running away to live in a far far away place together.... this fanstasy life of love and mystery and connectedness which brings forth a surge of emotions that my scalp is tingling with sensations and again the tears of intense joy cascade from my eyes....

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @UrsulaMcMahon, welcome to the forums. Thanks for sharing your experience, I believe the community will find it valuable. We often hear about the sad or angry emotions associted with BPD, it is a different perspective how the happy feelings can interfere with your life. Experiencing emotions this intensely sounds overwhelming. It sounds like you're quite fond of your friend and have formed a strong attachment to them. Take good care of yourself and reach out to the community as you need / want.

Warm regards,

tropicalsun

Hi @UrsulaMcMahon 

I just wanted to reach out and welcome you to the forums - it’s great to have you here Smiley Happy

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us Smiley Happy

Being able to connect with someone in the way that you’ve described sounds incredibly intense and as such, I can really appreciate the overwhelming urge that you feel to re-experience the memories that recreate these feelings.  

However, in my experience there can also be times when our desire to experience particular feelings becomes all-consuming. As such, we can find ourselves inadvertently withdrawing from our everyday lives, as the majority of our time, energy and attention becomes focused on recreating the feelings that we so desperately crave.

As such, I just ever so gently wondered if this was something that you could relate to?

When I began reading your story, I noticed that you titled your post ‘what is borderline personality disorder’ and as such, I just wondered if you were interested in this particular mental health issue, or if you were hoping to be able to connect with some other members of the forum who have a lived experience of borderline personality disorder?

Also, just while I remember, one of the things that really helped me when I was new to the forums and still finding my way around, was that if you would like to chat with another forum member, or reply to one of their posts, place @ in front of their username just like I did at the start of my post to you i.e. @UrsulaMcMahon and that way, they will receive a message that you have contacted them Smiley Happy

Please know that you’re always welcome to reach out here whenever you need to Heart

Take care of yourself,

ShiningStar Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance