Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Ma60
Senior Contributor

Unhelpful comments media

I cannot believe that a well known radio shock jock would utter the words "if you are feeling sad tell no-one". Does Kyle Sandilands have any idea how hard it can be to reach out for help. It might be a joke /prank to him but he has listeners that may take those words to heart and Not tell anyone. Though I believe he is  responsible for those words I believe it is a sad indictment of the radio station to air those comments. Not funny kyle

1 REPLY 1

Re: Unhelpful comments media

Hi @Ma60 ,

It is a double edged sword, isn't it? Everyone has their own opinions on whether expressing personal misery is right or not and the rules regarding when/how it is  justified. I don't listen to Kyle and I'm not familiar with the broadcast your talking about, but it sounds like he's just expressing his opinion and in a diverse and free speech country like ours, it's to be expected that not all of us will agree with what he has to say.

If your still concerned by his remarks, I believe that SANE has a reporting facility to report these sorts of media incidents, at https://www.sane.org/services/stigmawatch/report-a-media-item-to-stigmawatch. So you might want to make a report there, if you haven't already done so.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance