Skip to main content
PANDA National Helpline (Mon to Fri, 9am - 7.30pm AEST) Call 1300 726 306

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

LAM
Contributor

A love/hate relationship with exercise

Just wondering how many other people have the same experience that I do with exercise.

I try to go for a walk or jog every day-just half an hour.

I know that every time I go, I feel so much better afterwards. But it's still so hard to get myself out the door!

I have an iPod and I listen to talking books to keep my mind on something outside myself.

26 REPLIES 26

Re: A love/hate relationship with exercise

I can definitely relate to this. Winter is extra challenging - so I admire your daily exercise!

At the moment my main exercise is commuting to work or uni by bike - otherwise, it's hard to motivate myself to find time to exercise - it's as quick to ride as it is to take public transport which is great, and I like to listen to various podcasts on the way. The only downside is that when it's too cold and windy I miss out - so I probably need to get over my hatred of gyms - or find some other alternative..

I'm the same, I know I want to, I know I need to but I just can't find the motivation.  I really do like to stick on headphones and walk but then I think about how hot it is and kind of procrastinate then it's too late to do anything.  Shame procrastination isn't an exercise Smiley Tongue

I love the idea of procrastination being a form of exercise JT. I am still smiling about it. I would be super good at it too Woman Happy

Instead of Commonwealth Games, which is great if you are into sports, let's start the Procrastination Olympics! I reckon I would definitely have a chance! Along with nagging games..good at nagging!!
It is really hard to get motivated so I am getting to a point of unfitness now where I am going to have to compel my muscles and limbs in spite of my feelings and just do it!
I always feel great after a walk, especially walking with my dog and friends. Here's the nub of my problem...I love to natter so it's more a dawdle or stroll. My dog is off lead having an fabulous time chasing balls, sticks and other dogs, me, still meandering.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to push myself to walk a little faster? Thanks!

I'm terrible at pushing myself to go for a walk or run by myself.

I joined a team sport so I feel obligated to keep my commitment. I also enjoy being competitive - so it pushes me to try harder.

Not sure if you enjoy any team sports?

Personally I find the music I'm listening to helps.  Faster songs tend to make me go faster subconsiously.  

Yeah, I've got couple of audio books on motivation but today and yesterday and tomorrow, I'm in another cycle of exhaustion....

This is definitely worth trying! Thanks JT, it's been ages since I used headphones walking..that would increase my steps for sure!

I refuse to excercise, it is a terrible thing, but everyday I walk and I have lost most of the weight I had put on due to medication. I found that what works for me is not saying "Twice a day I MUST walk for this long no matter what" becuase that makes it a burden rather than a pleasure, rather if I work it into the things I need to do anyway. Going to the supermarket, walk instead of catching the bus, need to go further walk 4 or 5 bus/tram stops before getting onto PT, and the last thing I like to do is use it as an excuse to explore an area of my city. I have tricked my mind into enjoying it rather than resisting it 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance